Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Injera Day 1


Injera Day 1
Originally uploaded by burakaeyae.
Okay- today I'm starting another batch of injera, not at all deterred by the multitude of failures I've already experienced in my attempts to master this culinary skill! I thought I'd share with the world my little journey through the fermentation of teff. I'm very determined. At an Ethiopian restaraunt recently, the owner told us that if you have a room with 100 Ethiopian women that only one or two will be able to make good injera, and that out of those two women, they'll only be able to make it right half the time. Now, being a white American girl, I can't attest as to the truth in that statement. But it certainly does issue a challange to me. Furthermore, when Avery visited our kids in Ethiopia, our five-year-old daughter said that her favorite food is injera. I know I can just buy the stuff, but isn't it so special when your mommy cooks you your favorite food? So, after numerous failed batches, and much scientific study, I embark on yet another journey to create the perfect injera.

Today, I gently mixed the following, covered with a towel, and set aside until tomorrow:
1 package dry yeast
1 cup teff
1 1/4 cup warm water

No comments: